Thursday, December 23, 2010

DIY Idea: Homemade Apple Butter Gifts

I like to make something to give as presents every year.  Homemade gifts are very appreciated and (bonus!) it saves a little money during this expensive season.  

I told you how my friend Lindsay recently moved into a new home.  The new house has an awesome apple tree in the backyard, so she and I raided the tree and used some of the apples to make apple butter. 
This turned out to be quite an undertaking.  We used this recipe.  The apple butter turned out to be quite yummy, but what a mess it made! We were literally scrubbing sticky apple butter off the walls! 
I've seen many other recipes out there and would recommend trying one that used a slow cooker instead of the stove top like the recipe we used. 
We did eventually finish and manage to get the kitchen (walls, floor, counters) clean. 
We doubled the recipe, which filled 24 4oz jars with a little left over. 
I made some cute little labels to put on the top of my jars. 

For gifts, I packaged them with two kinds of muffin mix and a cute spreader.  They looked pretty darn cute wrapped with cellophane and tied with a bow! 

Lindsay baked some bread to go with hers and tied them with burlap & twine.  Adorable. 

Click here to see the pesto I made last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment