Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Birthday Cake: Chocolate Raspberry



I made this cake for my friend's birthday over the weekend.
It was YUMMY, and suprisingly easy for how fancy it looks.

Here's the details:
Chocolate cake with raspberry jam filling
Chocolate frosting
Vanilla rolled wafer cookies (chopped in half, and applied to the sides of the freshly frosted cake)
Fresh raspberries
White chocolate shavings (made with a regular vegetable peeler)
White chocolate heart with piped chocolate frosting letters

The most exciting part of this cake was the white chocolate heart.  I tend to be a procrastinator.  I had big plans of making or buying fondant, rolling it out, letting it harden over night, etc.  But then suddenly it was the last minute and I had scrap that plan.
Instead, I just bought a chocolate bar from the grocery store.  I put my heart shaped cookie cutter in the oven at 350 degrees for ~10 minutes.  I gently put the warm cookie cutter into the chocolate bar, and let it melt its way through.  I pulled the scraps away and carefully removed the cookie cutter.  After a little time in the fridge to harden back up, it was good to go.  Easier and less mess than using candy molds.   I will definitely do this again.



No comments:

Post a Comment