Monday, July 20, 2009

Cupcakes: Filled Up!

My husband definitely has a sweet tooth.
I wanted to make something extra special for his birthday dessert this past weekend.
I decided to make 2 different kinds of cupcakes:
Yellow cake, cream cheese frosting, Nutella filling, with mini chocolate chips sprinkled on top, and
Yellow cake, cream cheese frosting, raspberry jam filling, with red candy crystals and pecans sprinkled on top

When I have made filled cupcakes previously, I piped the filling in with a standard piping bag and icing tip. This time, I followed these instructions with the goal of getting a greater volume of filling inside. My theory is that you can’t have too much Nutella. :)

This method involves cutting a cone shape out of the top of the cupcake.

And then cutting the pointy part of the cone off, to get a disc shaped top piece.

I piped in the two different fillings. I used a ziploc bag with a medium-sized corner cut off.

Then I replaced the cupcake “disc” top, and frosted like normal.

Viola! The finished product(s), were truly a labor of love.

Here's a little peak at the center with it's yummy surprise.
Happy Birthday Danny!

No comments:

Post a Comment