Sunday, January 31, 2010

Rainbow Cupcakes

I've been wanting to make rainbow cupcakes forever...I finally had the perfect event this weekend. 

Here's the cake recipe I used: 
makes 12 regular size cupcakes

Mix 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup softened butter together until creamy and fluffy.
Mix in 2 eggs
Mix in 3/4 cup all purpose flour and 1 tsp baking powder until smooth. 
Mix in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Add 3 tablespoons milk, one tablespoon at a time, until mixed thoroughly. 

Divide batter into 6 bowls. 
Add food coloring as follows: 
Bowl 1: 8 drops red
Bowl 2: 8 drops yellow, 4 drops red
Bowl 3: 8 drops yellow
Bowl 4: 8 drops green
Bowl 5: 8 drops blue
Bowl 6: 8 drops blue, 4 drops red

Starting with purple, layer each color into 12 cupcake papers.  Smooth each layer down slightly. (I used a small spatula to do this). 
Bake at 395 degrees for 18 minutes. 

I made this easy cream cheese frosting: 
Cream 1 8oz package cream cheese and 1/4 cup softened butter together.
Mix in 1/2 tsp vanilla
Gradually stir in 1 cup sifted powdered sugar

Then I did this trick, from Better Homes and Gardens, to make letters for the cupcakes. 
 

And the best part was the inside, of course: 

I will definitely use this recipe again for making vanilla cupakes. They were delicious! 

Happy Birthday Patty! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment