Monday, October 5, 2009

My Iron Cupcake Entry: Acorn Squash Spice with Hazelnut Buttercream

This month's Iron Cupcake called for squash.   (See my post from last month for details on this event.)
I was quite happy with how my entry turned out.  An added bonus is that they are a little healthier than a standard cupcakes.  I decided to use an acorn squash.  Perfect for any fall gathering...



Acorn Squash Spice Cupcakes with Hazelnut Buttercream

Acorn Squash Spice Cupcakes:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup acorn squash puree
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 


Started making the acorn squash puree.  Cut the squash in half, spoon out all the seeds, and microwave it with about an inch of water.  I checked it every couple minutes, and stopped when it was soft.  Scoop the squahs into the food processor and and puree until smooth. 


Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Stir to combine.


In a second bowl, combine eggs, milk, and oil.  Whisk to combine. 

Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix together. 


Add acorn squash puree and stir to combine.  Before baking, I added about 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips. 


Fill cupcake papers 2/3 full.  For mini's I baked for 12 minutes. 


Hazelnut Buttercream Frosting:  (based on the recipe here)
2/3 cup butter
4 tbsp Frangelico
6 cups powdered sugar
4 tbsp half and half

Cream butter with an electric mixer.
Add Frangelico. 
Alternately add sifted powdered sugar and half and half, and mix until smooth.   I had a little extra!

Here they are!

I topped them with shavings of German Chocolate, which I made with a standard vegetable peeler. 

You've got to try these!

No comments:

Post a Comment