Monday, October 26, 2009

Cake: Tent & Campfire

I'm taking a little break from Halloween over here, in order to share my latest cake-baking adventure.

I made this cake for my nephew's birthday. He is a boy scout, and LOVES to camp.  And he was very specific in his request: a cookies and cream icecream cake. 



I never would've guessed that it would be 80 degrees at the end of October.  The warm weather made it difficult to keep the ice cream from melting.  You can see it seeping out the bottom a little in the picture.

But it was tasty, and the "campfire" was adorable.  :) I used a little pile of frosting to hold it all in place, and then piled pretzels for logs.  The flames were made by melting crushed lifesavers in the over, cooling them in the fridge, and the breaking it into fiery-looking shards.

To make the cake, I baked two 8 inch square cakes.  The peaked top was made by cutting the cake as shown here:  (if you're looking at it from the front)

All 6 triangles were stuck together with lots of frosting to make the peaked roof.
The cake that served as the bottom layer was cut a little to match the size of the roof. 


Wouldn't this design make a cute house cake for a housewarming party? I can just picture it!


Happy Birthday Marcus! 


You've got two more days to enter my Michael's Giveaway! Hurry Hurry!


No comments:

Post a Comment