Saturday, September 5, 2009

My Iron Cupcake Entry: Spicy Chocolate

Where does the time go?  Sorry for the delay in sharing my cupcake recipe...my husband sprained his ankle at his softball game and I have been busy taking care of him.  

As promised, here is the recipe. My entry of spicy chocolate cupcakes were yummy and moist.  The spice brings out the chocolate favor, and then there's just a slight "kick" at the end. I would make these again, even for an event where pepper isn't required.  The recipe is based off one I found here.

Spicy Chocolate Cupcakes

Ingredients for the cake:
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (chopped)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground pequin chilies
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla

Boil water in tea kettle, or sauce pan. Measure out 1 1/4 cups.

Combine chopped chocolate and cocoa powder in a bowl. 



Add boiling water and whisk until smooth.  Set aside. 




Sift flour.  Add baking powder, salt, and ground pequin chilies. Set aside.





Beat butter in mixer.

Add brown sugar, and beat until fluffy. Then add one egg at a time, beat well. 




 
Add sour cream and vanilla and beat.

Alternately mix parts of flour mixture and chocolate mixture, blending each until just combined.


Fill cupcake papers 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees. 
I baked mini cupcakes for 12 minutes, and big cupcakes for 20 minutes.  





Let cupcakes cool completely.




Spicy Chocolate Ganache Frosting:

Ingredients for frosting:
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 tsp ground pequin chilies
12 oz semisweet chocolate
1/2 stick butter
2-3 cups powdered sugar

Heat cream in a saucepan over medium, just until bubbles form around the outside edge. 

Combine chocolate and pepper in a bowl.

Pour heated cream over the chocolate. Let is sit for about 30 seconds, and then whisk it smooth.
Add butter pats and continue whisking until combined.
 I used my hand-held electric mixer as well. Then let is sit.

I used my electric mixer to add in about 2 1/2 cups of sifted powdered sugar. 
I let the frosting sit for several hours before piping it on.  

 



  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment